Thursday, July 30, 2009

Step One

If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don’t spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it.” ~Priscilla Welch, former Masters Marathon World Record Holder

What I need here is a goal. Yes I’ve got a goal to lose weight. Who doesn’t? But I need something bigger to aim for, but not quite as big as hiking to the base camp of Mt. Everest. I need a smaller goal, something that’s still a stretch, but that’s doable. So, I’ve done it. I’ve signed up for a half marathon at the end of October.

It’s the perfect goal. I know I can do it because I’ve done it before. Granted my two half marathons were 8 and 22 years ago respectively, but I know what to expect, so I know I can do this.

So, right now I can run approximately three miles without stopping. But I’ve signed up anyway. I’ve made the commitment so it will be harder to back out. I now have thirteen weeks to get myself together and there’s no time like the present to get started.

If you happen to be in Healdsburg, CA on October 31st, look out for me. I’ll be the one with the “What the hell was I thinking?” look on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment